Other Characters: Katniss Everdeen, James Norrington
Interests: Okay, something you guys probably don't know about me, but I am a goddamned Grey Warden NERD. I love the Grey Wardens. I have read all their frigging codexes. I have played Origins so many times it's embarrassing and I always make Bethany a Warden. So to have the opportunity to play a Grey Warden, and one like Bethany? Who is a mage and everything that means with the Warden storyline? Fills me with glee like none other.
Name: Bethany Hawke
Canon/OC: Dragon Age
Nationality: Fereldan/Free Marcher
Occupation: Grey Warden
Bethany Hawke, an overview
Bethany: The Last Five Years
- After standing with her sister and brother against Meredith in Kirkwall, Bethany returned to her Grey Warden duties in the Deep Roads.
- When the Mage and Templar war arose, at her sister's urgings she went to the Free Marches and hid with Carver, until it looked like there would not be a Divine March. Marian disappeared and Bethany disappeared back into the Deep Roads once more, leaving Carver and their mabari behind.
- Shortly before the explosion at the Temple of Sacred Ashes, she, like all the other Wardens, began to hear the Calling. She sent out word to her sister of the danger.
- When Clarel and Erimond laid out their plans to the Grey Warden warriors and mages, Bethany found Nathaniel and begged for him to take her with him. After their escape, they traveled to the Free Marches to ensure the safety Carver, then further south to Highever to see that Erimond had not grabbed Delilah and her family to force Nathaniel to comply. They decided to head to the Inquisition, to see if they could find the other comrades they had escaped with, and to get more information on Erimond himself so they could save their brothers and sisters in Grey.
If Marian Hawke has been the body of the Hawke family, and Carver the heart, then Bethany has always been the spirit of the three siblings. Calm where Carver is overly excited, kind where her sister is sarcastic, Bethany has always been the light that shone around the darker elements of her siblings. It hasn't been easy, trying to balance and sometimes keep Carver and Marian from being at one another's throats, but hey, that's what being the middle child is all about.
Of course, that's not to say that Bethany is always nice. The sun, after all, can burn you if you trifle with it for too long. Bethany has the patience of a Divine, but if you cross her she will firmly and resolutely put you in your place. Typically with just some stern words and expression - Bethany is not fond of violence as a rule - but if heavier stuff is need she will break it out with no reserve. If there was a possible motto of the Hawke family? 'Overkill' would probably cover it.
For all her kindness and patience though, she has had a hard life and it has made her slightly bitter at times. Hiding from the templars since childhood, losing her father to the Blight and having to leave her home for a place that seemed determined to crush her at every turned, forced to become a Warden at the tender age of nineteen? Not to mention being the sister of The Great Champion Hawke -- Bethany has never been jealous of her sister and has preferred being in her shadow, but honestly the people who tried to use her to get to Marian ... Bethany has never had a 'normal' life. As desperately as she might have wanted one.
Beyond that, she is constantly finding people trying to take advantage of her kinder nature. She wants to believe in the best in people, and some people just want to use that against her. Or as a weapon against her sister, or her brother, or any of her friends. It's distressing, but Bethany's learned that a firm stance when this happens goes a lot farther. Also, sometimes fireballs.
Despite all of it though, Bethany is happy with the woman she has become. Grey Warden and hero? Brilliant. Powerful mage with no fear of the templars? Excellent. Loving (and sometimes unbelievably overprotective) family and friends? Absolutely marvelous. Lovers ... oh let's not go into that. Let's just say that at 30, and still a virgin? Bethany is willing to get herself swept away with some romance -- if only they can escape the baleful look of Carver. And their beloved Mabari, of course.
Strengths & Weaknesses
Strengths - Magic
Creation - Bethany is well versed in the entire Healing Tree - something she sort of had to pick up quickly because of how many scrapes they seemed to find themselves in in Kirkwall.
Elemental - Bethany, through her father's tutelage, has a better grasp of both fields of elemental magic than most. She can fluidly switch from fire to ice without missing a beat.
Force - During her years as a Warden, Bethany has mastered the force tree, which means she can manipulate the primal energy of the world around her through the veil. She can knock her enemies back, slam them into the ground, or pull them all into one central location where they are unable to move. This particular tree has been invaluable in handling the darkspawn in the Deep Roads.
- Charisma score is ridiculous. If you don't think that's a strength, consider that a smile from her has softened even Fenris.
- Mage. She's a mage. There you have it.
- Hawke. She's the baby sister of the Champion of Kirkwall and Carver Hawke. Part of a noble family of Amell. The name carries weight and she knows it.
- Grey Warden She is a Grey Warden. A Grey Warden. She's got Warden friends, they do bad-ass Warden things. GREY WARDEN.
Physical - She is a mage. Mages are squishy.
Hawke- She is a Hawke -- she might as well have a giant 'Come and Kill Me' sign on her ample chest.
Grey Warden - Can you hear the Old Gods singing? She can...
-Tier 3 Grey Warden staff, with a Cleasing Rune.
- Grey Warden armor, Tier 3, bundled up.
- Battlemage armor.
- Red Hawke bandanna, tied around her throat.
- Changes to normal clothing.
- Belt of Healing.
- Grandmother Amell's wedding ring, worn around her neck.
There are three reasons why Bethany is here with the Inquisition - to find her family (which is EVERYONE in the Kirkwall gang) and make sure they are safe, to help her Grey Warden brothers and sisters, and to put Corypheus down, once and for all. It is the least she can do for her father's memory.